When you use our Site, we process your personal information. Finisterre is a company incorporated under the laws of England & Wales under company number 04444480. We’re proudly based in Cornwall, perched on the cliffs at Unit 6 Wheal Kitty Workshops, St. Agnes, Cornwall, TR5 0RD. As with everything we do, we want to be transparent about the information we store. We believe it’s best to be honest. Always.
Please note that you should not use our site unless you are over the age of 18.
If you still have any questions for us, just get in touch (see the ‘Get in touch’ section below).
Information that we Process
- We’ll need your name and address. Our customers are part of our community, more than names on a sheet. But, without that information, the kit we send out to stoke your passion for the sea simply wouldn’t make it to you. We also use these to verify your payments, to make sure everything is above board.
- We process information about the products you are interested in and your product preferences based on your use of our Site.
- Your email is another thing. We’ll use this to send you confirmation of your orders.
- Separately, we may contact you to send you marketing including any news from our community of ocean lovers, including new products, conservation stories and our sustainability initiatives. Not seeing anything useful? You can always unsubscribe by clicking the link in the email or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We may also ask you for additional information, such as your telephone number.
- We’ll also need your payment card details. We’ll ask for them when you place an order, and we’ll also need to know that you’re over 18. That’s when you’re legally allowed to enter into a contract with us and buy our products with your own money.
- Not everything we ask for is mandatory. But it does help us to understand you better. For example, your phone number can help us if a delivery driver is finding it hard to track down your address.
Special Category and Personal Information
- We will only collect and use sensitive personal information (also known as special category data under the UK GDPR) if there is a valid reason for doing so and where the law allows us to. Sensitive personal information includes personal information about health, ethnicity, religion, political opinions or sexuality. For instance, information that you provide to us about your health (e.g. any restrictions you have to access wetsuits) when filling in an application for a wetsuit is sensitive personal information. If you are under the age of 18, we will ask for your parent or guardian’s consent to process your personal information.
- We request that you avoid disclosing to us any sensitive personal information relating to you or anyone else when providing us with personal information, except where that information has been requested.
- We will only use sensitive personal information to:
- Help you with your enquiry/purchase/request/donation;
- For internal training; and
- For monitoring or evaluating the services we provide.
How We Obtain Your Personal Information
- We collect information about you when you visit our website or interact with us in some way, such as contacting us or making an order.
- 3.2 Occasionally we may receive personal information from third parties including service providers or partners such as Experian Ltd, in situations where they have received an individual’s name from a separate company and it has been indicated that the individual would be interested to receive communications and information from ourselves. If this applies to you and you wish to be removed from our mailing list please contact us at email@example.com.
- 3.3 From time to time, we might also receive information about you from third parties.
How We Process Your Personal Information
- To fulfil your orders – As part of our community you matter to us. We want to take care of you, because then, you’ll take care of us. Whenever you buy something or shop somewhere, you’re entering into a contract. We’re no different. But it’s nothing to be worried about. For our products to make it from our warehouse to their new home with you, we need that information. We also need it to check it’s really you. You wouldn’t want someone else buying a new Nimbus Jacket with your information, would you? So, we use this information to verify you’re a genuine customer, not someone with mischief in mind.
- To keep in touch with you about our products - At Finisterre we like to keep you up-to-date with all the latest news from the workshop, be it new products, promotions or news about our sustainability initiatives. Data protection laws enable us to contact individuals for direct marketing, under certain circumstances. So that’s what we’re going to do. But we do understand that you might not be quite as thrilled about that as us, so if you lose interest in us you can always opt out from any communications. We’ll miss you, but we know that everyone has to walk their own path. Just remember that once you have, we won’t be able to contact you about our innovative new products or projects. Simply unsubscribe using the link in our emails or, if you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For advertising purposes - The products that you choose all tell stories. All these stories help us get to know you better, and occasionally we might use information from third parties who you have also shopped with. This is all so we can better understand what you like and what you like to do, so that we’re only showing you the most relevant products. We use Acorn (a consumer classification software) in order to assist us with this.
- We may use Google AdSense and Facebook Custom Audiences tool in order to advertise to you.
- Our catalogues are always printed a while before they get sent out. If you would like to be unsubscribed from our mailing list, get in touch with us at email@example.com so we can start the process as soon as possible, or you may still receive a catalogue.
- We will only use personal information when the law allows us to (i.e. where we have a ‘lawful basis’). Most commonly, we will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. For example, we have a legitimate interest in administering Finisterre and to send you direct marketing by post.
- Where it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you (for example, where we need to fulfil an order).
- Where it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation on us (for example, reporting to the UK’s Companies House).
- Less commonly, we may ask for your consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose, such as when we send you electronic marketing communications.
- You may unsubscribe from our email communications via the link in any Finisterre email, request to withdraw your consent, and request for us to remove your personal information at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Long do We Keep Your Data?
- As far as we’re concerned, if you keep coming back and shopping with us, you’re a member of our community, meaning we’ll keep track of the story you tell through the products you buy. Keeping track of the story you write with us will help us get speedy answers to any questions about your orders and will also help us with the slightly more tedious (but vitally important) legal or audit processes that we are required to complete on occasion.
- The criteria used to determine the period of storage of personal information is: (i) the respective statutory retention period; (ii) our contractual and/or business relationships with you; (iii) (potential) disputes; and (iv) any guidelines issued by relevant supervisory authorities. After expiration of that period, the corresponding information is routinely deleted, as long as it is no longer necessary for the fulfilment of a contract, the initiation of a contract or to protect or defend our position or that of a third party. If you have any questions about retention periods, please contact us via the ‘Get in touch’ section below.
- We use social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest), as well as Google and Bing from time to time for advertising purposes, as do our carefully selected partners mentioned above.
- We may interact with your social media profile in order to make you aware of us on the following pages:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FinisterreUK1
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/Finisterre/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/finisterreuk/
- If you would prefer that we did not interact with you for social media marketing, please let us know by getting in touch with us.
- Finisterre and its social media partners are joint controllers (i.e. we are jointly responsible for how your personal information is used). You may visit the privacy policies of each social media website at the following locations:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/policy.php
- Instagram: https://help.instagram.com/519522125107875
- Pinterest: https://policy.pinterest.com/en-gb/privacy-policy
Know Your Rights
- As a customer you have a legal right to access any of the personal information that we hold on you. Any request will be dealt with as quickly as possible, and we will aim to do so within one month.
- You can to delete, stop or rectify any part of our processing of your personal information.
- You can ask us to restrict or block the processing of your personal information.
- Where we have previously obtained your consent, you may withdraw your consent to processing your personal information.
- You also have the right to ask us to pass on your personal information, known as the right of portability. You can ask us to pass your data on to a third party, as long as the format is machine readable, by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Please be aware that we may be unable to provide these rights to you under certain circumstances, such as if we are legally prevented from doing so or can rely on exemptions.
- Have any complaints? Well, we want to know about them and fix them. Contact us using the details in the ‘Get in touch’ section below and our team will spring into action and do their best to resolve the issue. If you feel that after contacting us your problem has not been resolved or dealt with to your satisfaction, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – the supervising authority for data protection in the UK – on 0303 123 1113 or through their website, ico.org.uk.
- We may share your personal information with third parties such as Bodyline, third party service providers and other entities within our group. We require third parties to respect the security of your personal information and to treat it in accordance with the law.
- We share your personal information with third parties where required by law, where it is necessary to administer our relationship with you, or where we have another legitimate interest in doing so.
- We may also need to share your personal information with a regulator or to otherwise comply with the law, as well as with our professional advisors (e.g. solicitors, accountants and auditors).
- We will not pass on your sensitive personal information to anyone else without your express permission except where required to by law, in order to protect our or a third party’s interests, or where we use service providers to assist us e.g. IT support services.
- Some of the third parties which we work closely with are based outside of the UK so their processing of your personal information will involve a transfer of data outside of the UK.
- Whenever we transfer your personal information out of the UK, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- we will only transfer your personal information to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal information; and
- where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved for use in the UK which give personal information the same protection it has in the UK.
- Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal information out of the UK.
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Get In Touch
Data Protection Officer
Unit 6, Wheal Kitty Workshops
You can also call us on 01872 554 881 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cookies can be a bit confusing, so we’ll try and keep it simple. Cookies can be used as a kind of ID card for an online customer. Basically, they let our website know when someone comes back to us, and therefore allows us to display the most relevant information for that customer.
- Cookies are not computer programs so they can’t read information stored on your computer. . Cookies can contain and transfer information to our website. Not happy with that arrangement? You can turn off your cookies any time using your browser’s settings but bear in mind that this means you won’t be able to shop on our website, as a lot of the functionality is supported by cookies. Remember that cookies are specific to the computer you are using and if you access any site with another device, the settings on that device will be the ones that are applied.
- We know cookies can be a bit complicated so if you still feel like you need to learn more, visit www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies to answer any of your cookie-related questions.
- When you land on the Finisterre website, the cookies you’ll get will come directly from us or from one of our business partners. There are a few different types, so here’s a quick run-down:
- Essential cookies: The clue is in the name. Essential cookies are the ones that allow you to access our website, browse products, order and navigate through pages with ease. Without them, you simply won’t be able to use our site.
- Performance cookies: These help us understand how you’re using our site. Performance cookies help us to analyse information like numbers of visitors to our website, measure usage and assess how well our advertising is working. We’ll use this information to tweak the performance of our website and improve the customer experience when shopping with us.
- Functionality cookies: These cookies help us to offer extra functionality on our website. These are not strictly needed to be able to use the website, however they do enable features that will make it far easier to navigate and shop with us.
- Targeting cookies: We use some cookies to track the interest our visitors have in our products. We sometimes use this to understand what our customers are really interested in, so we can make sure we’re offering the right things. This means we can use browsing behaviour to create the most relevant banner adverts, only showing you products that you have already viewed or are similar to what you have already seen on our website. These banner adverts are displayed across a variety of other website that customers may visit. This is called behavioural advertising and is tailored to each individual user, however cookie data is always anonymised and only stored temporarily. These banners will always feature an “i” icon which will supply information on the advertising network used and information on how to opt out if you wish.
- Here is a list of the cookies that our website uses:
|_shopify_y||This cookie is associated with Shopify's analytics suite.|
|cart_currency||This is an essential cookie for the secure checkout and payment function on the website. This cookie is provided by shopify.com.|
|secure_customer_sig||This cookies is set by websites built on Shopify platform and is used in connection with customer login.|
|_y||This cookie is associated with Shopify's analytics suite.|
|_shopify_fs||This cookie is associated with Shopify's analytics suite.|
|_orig_referrer||This cookie is set by website built on Shopify platform and is used in assoication with shopping cart.|
|_shopify_s||This cookie is associated with Shopify's analytics suite.|
|_landing_page||This cookie is set by website built on Shopify platform and is used to track landing pages.|
|_s||This cookie is associated with Shopify's analytics suite.|
|YSC||This cookies is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos.|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||This cookie is set by Youtube. Used to track the information of the embedded YouTube videos on a website.|
|_gcl_au||This cookie is used by Google Analytics to understand user interaction with the website.|
|_pay_session||The domain of this cookie is owned by Shopify. This cookie is used for enabling secure checkout and payment function on the website.|
|MUID||Used by Microsoft as a unique identifier. The cookie is set by embedded Microsoft scripts. The purpose of this cookie is to synchronize the ID across many different Microsoft domains to enable user tracking.|
|MR||This cookie is used to measure the use of the website for analytics purposes.|
|cart_sig||This cookie is set by Shopify and is used in connection with store checkout.|
|_uetsid||This cookies are used to collect analytical information about how visitors use the website. This information is used to compile report and improve site.|
|_ga||This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. The cookie is used to calculate visitor, session, campaign data and keep track of site usage for the site's analytics report. The cookies store information anonymously and assign a randomly generated number to identify unique visitors.|
|_gid||This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. The cookie is used to store information of how visitors use a website and helps in creating an analytics report of how the wbsite is doing. The data collected including the number visitors, the source where they have come from, and the pages viisted in an anonymous form.|
|shopify_pay_redirect||This cookie is used by website using Shopify platform and is used in enabling secure payment and checkout from the e-commerce store.|
|_shopify_sa_t||This cookie is set by Shopify and is used for analytics relating marketing and referrals.|
|_shopify_sa_p||This cookie is set by Shopify and is used for analytics relating marketing and referrals.|
|_fbp||This cookie is set by Facebook to deliver advertisement when they are on Facebook or a digital platform powered by Facebook advertising after visiting this website.|
|_hjid||This cookie is set by Hotjar. This cookie is set when the customer first lands on a page with the Hotjar script. It is used to persist the random user ID, unique to that site on the browser. This ensures that behavior in subsequent visits to the same site will be attributed to the same user ID.|
|fr||The cookie is set by Facebook to show relevant advertisments to the users and measure and improve the advertisements. The cookie also tracks the behavior of the user across the web on sites that have Facebook pixel or Facebook social plugin.|
|_gaexp||This cookie is used to determine a user's inclusion in an experiment and the expiry of experiments a user has been included in.|
|test_cookie||This cookie is set by doubleclick.net. The purpose of the cookie is to determine if the users' browser supports cookies.|
|__livechat||This cookie is set by the provider LiveChat.Inc. This cookie is used to enable live chat with customers on the website.|
|__lc_cid||This is an essential cookie for the website live chat box to function properly.|
|__lc_cst||This cookie is used for the website live chat box to function properly.|
|__lc2_cid||This cookie is used to enable the website live chat-box function. It is used to reconnect the customer with the last agent with whom the customer had chatted.|
|__lc2_cst||This cookie is necessary to enable the website live chat-box function. It is used to distinguish different users using live chat at different times that is to reconnect the last agent with whom the customer had chatted.|
|__oauth_redirect_detector||This cookie is used to recognize the visitors using live chat at different times inorder to optimize the chat-box functionality.|
|__cfduid||The cookie is set by CloudFare. The cookie is used to identify individual clients behind a shared IP address and apply security settings on a per-client basis. It does not correspond to any user ID in the web application and does not store any personally identifiable information.|
|ATN||The cookie is set by atdmt.com. The cookies stores data about the user behavior on multiple websites. The data is then used to serve relevant advertisements to the users on the website.|
|PHPSESSID||This cookie is native to PHP applications. The cookie is used to store and identify a users' unique session ID for the purpose of managing user session on the website. The cookie is a session cookies and is deleted when all the browser windows are closed.|
|csrftoken||This cookie is associated with Django web development platform for python. Used to help protect the website against Cross-Site Request Forgery attacks|
We may update this notice and so we recommend that you check this notice regularly. We aim to notify you of any significant changes by way of a notice on our website or by contacting you directly when reasonably possible.